Monday, December 2, 2013

Week 1: 'Not Here By Chance'

The first week went by SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fast holy crap!! But it was way fun! 

Thanksgiving day was pretty fun as well. Played some basketball with our ward mission leader and a few other ward members. It was really nice to get to play ball again! I have missed it a lot! But I still didn't do much because of my ankle... My shot is still good!! :)  

We don't do much tracting out here because everyone, literally everyone works in Downtown DC so they leave super early and they get home super late around 6pm and then go to bed around 7:30-8pm ish. We rely heavily on Member Referral’s and through Facebook as well!

About the Facebook deal, I have made another account just for mission purposes only which means I can't talk normally to you which stinks but that's why we have email!! :)

The weather here is alright. The humidity makes it seem colder than what it really is BUT it feels really nice!! 

Well that sums up my week pretty much! 

PS:  I might send some pictures tomorrow to you all with some MTC and Mission pictures so BE WATCHING! ;)

Elder Ekberg

***************************************

We asked JT a few questions this week- here are his responses.

Answers to your questions:
1-      Who is your companion?'
       My companion is Elder Gardner, he is from Provo and went to Timpview- played  
       basketball, 6 ft about 200lbs. He has been out 10 months- really cool guy!

2-      What city are you in and tell us about the people you are currently teaching.
I am in an area called White Plains 2 near Waldorf Maryland.  We cover 1 ward; we are in a car- 2014 Toyota Corolla.  Investigators at the moment we have 3 that are really interested. Sister Neismith and her grandson Jorden Brown, and Brother Jenkins. Brother Jenkins wants to be baptized but his wife won't let him and the other two I am not sure where they are at yet- still trying to remember everyone that we meet.  HAHA!

3-      Tell us about missionary work using social media:  
      Washington DC North mission is 1 of 8 missions that use social media.  I set up a missionary facebook account (you might get friend requests from me).  We spend an hour a day answering emails from investigators through facebook contact, visitor center referrals and Mormon.org.  We get ipads in a week or so to help us teach- using videos and stuff like that- pretty sick!!  It can’t be used to talk with people at home- unless it is to answer gospel questions, helping people get in contact with missionaries etc.. so don’t get mad if you post something and I don’t respond to you.  Just know that I see it, and feel free to comment on my posts!! J

4-      Do you get a lot of dinner appointments?
      We actually do get a lot of dinner appointments but sometimes no one follows through with it but December for the next two weeks I think we have every day filled with dinner appointments.

5-      What do you have for breakfast?
       Eggs and Jimmy Dean sausage croissants- LOL!

6-      Tell us about your most spiritual experience this week:
We were discussing some doctrine with our district and then we did a role play thing.  After that we got asked what we felt about our missionary purpose and I felt a prompting to take out my patriarchal blessing. I did and the section I shared was my new found mission quote and why I was there on a mission: "You are not here by chance, you are here by Assignment."


Love our missionary!!



No comments:

Post a Comment